Study: Missed Sleep Increases Risks for Accidents
According to a new AAA study, car crash risk doubles when drivers miss as little as one or two hours of sleep in a day. With 35 percent of drivers across the country already sleeping less than the recommended seven hours a day, drowsy driving is a real danger to all on the roads.
If a drowsy driver caused your accident and injuries, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The reputable New Jersey car accident attorneys at Lynch Law Firm, PC will fight to recover the compensation you deserve.
Drowsy driving plays a role in one in five deadly crashes each year in the U.S. The risk of being involved in a drowsy driving crash increases greatly with every missed hour of sleep.
- If one to two hours of sleep are missed, crash risk almost doubles.
- If a driver only gets four or five hours of sleep in a night, his or her crash risk quadruples.
- For those driving on four hours or less of sleep, crash risk is 11 times higher – this risk level is similar to the accident risk of driving drunk.
Falling asleep at the wheel is not the only issue that occurs when drivers do not get adequate sleep. According to AAA representatives, drowsy drivers have slower reaction times, can exhibit tunnel vision behind the wheel and may become too tired to keep their vehicle in its lane.
Though nearly all U.S. motorists (97 percent) say driving drowsy is unacceptable, almost one third of drivers say they have been drowsy behind the wheel at least once in the last month.
Drivers should be aware of the symptoms of drowsy driving, though not all drivers have such symptoms prior to a drowsy driving accident:
- Difficult keeping eyes open
- Vehicle drifting between lanes
- Difficulty remembering the previous miles driven
If you have been injured in an accident that was not your fault, you have options. To learn more about them, contact a New Jersey personal injury attorney at our law firm today. Your initial consultation is free and there are no upfront fees if we handle your claim.
Call (800) 518-0508 today.